The culture tube formicarium brings the concept of inserts and housing ants in test tubes to the next level, we have worked hard at solving some of the most common issues encountered when using plain test tubes and or traditional inserts.
Here are some of the features and benefits:
1. Separate water chamber outside the tube, so we do not waste visual space, also allowing for more ants to fit inside the tube.
2. Increased humidity capacity for species that require such, as we do not have a cotton leaking humidity on the front, control of the humidity inside the tube is controlled by the quantity and frequency of water deposited on the water chamber.
3. We made it easier to set up and refill the test tube, no need to fiddle with cotton balls or water leaking into the colony on every refill, set up time is incredibly fast.
4. Expandable and modular concept.
5. The substrate has a humidity gradient, our ants can pick what they need, only the first node closest to the water chambers is connected to the water source, the other 3 nodes are independent and absorb humidity through the air contained in the tube.
6. Same benefits found in our classic grout inserts like better flooring and grip (cocoon spinning species benefit a lot), reduced stress levels due to a more contained space with crevices to store brood, brood rests against a humid warmer material as opposed to bare glass, no flooding issues. This overall helps brood develop faster as well as greater total worker counts by making the test tube environment more natural.
The glass tube flushes into the plastic module and stays in place with the friction against the wall, alternatively, it can be sealed with aquarium safe silicone, thus making it safer to handle or allowing the unit to be sealed and contain even more humidity.
The culture tube formicarium is not intended for the founding stages as it provides too much space, but it is the ideal first formicarium to a starting colony or an expansion to an already existing setup.
Each unit includes a 16x125 mm test tube (rimless), Formicarium Insert, water chamber lid, Test tube ring and red film cover.