This kit is the perfect first home for your new tenANT! It's small and cozy just like the apartments you would find in the big city minus the outrageous rent.
*Picture not included
This unit is an ideal first formicarium for a new colony coming out of their test tube. One of the most common mistakes we encounter is moving into a formicarium to early. Still, this unit allows us to make that gradual step, avoiding stressing your new colony with an oversized formicarium.
Alternatively, it could be used as a founding chamber for bigger species like Camponotus, once the first workers arrive; connect it to a small outworld and you have an easy small set-up.
This double glass design features a plastic/grout hybrid frame and an innovative hydration chamber system; the hexagonal pattern used is by far one of the most space-efficient shapes found in nature, allowing us to hold a significant amount of ants in a tiny space while having an incredible view. Each hexagon can hold 12 to 32 mid-sized ant species if they get very close and tight.
The inside walls have a very texturized surface that ants love, having a glass on the front and back on makes it so easy to observe, learn and photograph.
This kit comes with:
- - Mini Honeycell Nest
- - 16mm Test Tubes x 5
- - Clip-on macro lens x 1
- - Steel-tipped Tweezers x 1
- - byFormica Liquid Feeder micro x 2
- - byFormica Liquid Feeder mini (5ml) x 1 + (2 ml) x 1
- - 3ml Pipette x 1
- - 1 ft Vinyl Tubing
- - L shaped Connector
- - 10ml fluon
- - Bioscape Outworld x 1
- - 60ml byFormica Sunburst Nectar
- - 3-in-1 Universal Macro Lens
- - Heat Cable (3.5m)
We have also picked a few colony sizes which will be able to persist in these setups for at least a few months (before they overpopulate) of several beginner species. These consist of the following:
- N/A (No colony)
- Myrmica rubra 1 Queen + 5-10 workers, 2 Queens + 10-20 workers
- Formica subsericea Queen, Queen + 1-5 workers, Queen + 5-10 workers
- Prenolepis imparis Queen, Queen + 1-5 workers, Queen + 5-10 workers
- Lasius neoniger Queen, Queen + 1-5 workers
- Aphaenogaster picea Queen, Queen + 1-5 workers
- Tetramorium immigrans Queen, Queen + 1-5 workers, Queen + 5-10 workers
- Tapinoma sessile Queen + 5-10 workers, 2 Queens + 10-20 workers
- Crematogaster cerasi Queen, Queen + 1-5 workers
- Camponotus pennsylvanicus Queen, Queen + 1-5 workers, Queen + 5-10 workers
- Camponotus novaeborecensis Queen, Queen + 1-5 workers, Queen + 5-10 workers
- Camponotus herculeanus Queen, Queen + 1-5 workers, Queen + 5-10 workers
The Apartment was designed with founding queens in mind and starting colonies , bundled with the mini outworld makes it feeding and caring for the new colony easier without stress thus helping faster growth, the formicarium can be gradually expanded by activating the entrance chamber only when required.
This kit can be used to set up a founding chamber for claustral or semi-claustral species, it can also be used as a first formicarium to a new colony or queen moving out of a test tube set up.
The mesh material on the lid of the outworld may be made of steel or cooper as available to us when preparing your order. The kit uses 9.5mm (3/8") tubing.